Saturday, May 3, 2008

Nearly half way

My Camino family has shrunk yet again. This is the way of life on the road.

Today Eduardo and I left Gitta and Eric in Bodarilla (or something like that) and we continued on to Fromista after 34kms of walking. We were greeted to the last 2 beds in the village. Thank the Lord...lol

This time we´re sleeping in the corridor,  it´s the funniest thing to witness...lol There are people even sleeping under the breakfast table! Man this is what one calls an adventure..lol.. So far we´ve been rejected from 6 refugios due to overcrowding... Once we settled into the refugio we had a look around the village where Eduardo and I were fortunate enough not to pay to enter the church, talk about the Universe looking after us... Thank you God...lol


At the moment we´re making excellent ground, more that I thought... In 13 days we´ve walked approx 330kms and most of the people we met at the beginning of the walk are well behind us, which is a little sad. The quickier we walk means we bump into new groups of people, which has a toally different feel. Although there´s 2 young fit German guys we keep bumping into and I think they´re trying to race us...lol. As I say to Eduardo ´slowly but surely wins the race´.

Another guy we met at the beginning of the walk couldn´t believe how much ground we covered. He had to jump on a bus as his boots we´re hurting him. When I told him we walked all this way, he honestly thought I was kidding. That´s when I realised, damn, we´re firing ahead.


Tomorrow will be another massive walk, roughly 36kms in 28 degree heat. We´re planning on getting up around 5:30am to avoid the heat as there´s not much shade throughout this part (Meseta).


Our plan is to get to Leon in 4 days.Eduardo needs to complete the walk in 29 days (total) I´ve decided to hang in Leon until Gitta and Eric arrive, which should be a day or 2 after I arrive.


Burgos is a lovely city. The cathedral was absolutely stunning. I just can´t believe we had to pay 2.50 euros to go in, but hey, it was worth it.


The weather has been out of control. From the blazing sun to freezing winds and rainy conditions. It honestly felt at times it was about to snow. We´ve walked in them all! It´s crazy, but we´re having sooo much fun laughing like lunatics...lol. Walking an average of 7-10 hours a day, you need to entertain yourselves, so you end up playing different kinds of games just to pass the time. Man it's funny!
 It´s been sad to have people from our group drop off one by one. At the same time, I´m grateful to have met and exchanged many memorable moments with these gorgeous souls. I can´t wait to upload my pics when I get home for you all to see the beauty of this place and people. Spain is different in Spring compared to to the Summer time. There's nothing like walking across a country, one truly experiences the essence of the culture. Beautiful!


I´ve taken to drinking vino tinto (red wine) every night (No, I'm not an alcho? lol). I'm enjoying the different types of wines from the different provinces.


Anyways my friends, I best be off as the bar closes shortly and I have to prepare our beds for the night in the corridor of the hostel (the owner is soooo lovely, another one of God's angels). I´ll write more when I get to Leon.


Take care, hope you're all well. Thinking of you and placing little stones along the way with good wishes for you all.


Lots of love and hugs
Sonia

No comments: