Friday, May 9, 2008

Albergues (hostels)

Since Eduardo left the family, we´ve stayed in some amazing albergues (both on detour routes)


On Monday night (5th May), we stayed in the peregrinos albergue located in Besciano del Real Camino.That night, I experienced the essence of what I believe the Camino life is all about.


The albergue runs off donations and the warm greeting was next to none. One of the hospitalerios (volunteer workers) was named none other than, Jesus! Can you believe it? He definitely had a twinkle in his eyes, that´s for sure.

On that night, I even dreamt he was God and the look he gave me in my dream was of love, support, faith and re-assurance. It was a very strange dream but man did it feel real. I seem to be dreaming alot on the road (but then again that's nothing new). One night I dreamt a man and lady were doing Reiki on me and I could actually feel it in my dream. As some of you know, all this hippy dippy stuff isn´t at all weird for me...lol

Anyways back to the albergue, it slept roughly 40 people, all the pilgrims helped with the dinner preparations and washing up. We then sang songs in our native languages, we watched the sunset, followed by a candlelit meditation expressing the reason why each one of us are walking this road...It was an amazing evening with so many amazing people (approx 25 of us). This is what I feel the Camino life is all about, the spirit of sharing, friendship, reflection, giving thanks for the many many luxuries we have in our own lives...The Camino life is a very simple one, it shows you you don´t need much to be happy. My Camino family have shown me this time and time again and for that I´m truly grateful. All you need is love! :)


Last night we stayed in Leon (Santa Maria convent) this is the 2nd time we´ve stayed in a convent (Eric wasn´t allowed to move his bed close to Gitta´s...lol...Inside joke). We went to the 6pm Mass at Leon´s Cathedral which was lovely, although Burgos Cathedral is sooo much nicer and alot more detailed than Leon. Truth be told I was very disappointed with Leon's cathedal there wasn´t any substance to it. All in all, atleast the outside of the Cathedral was lovely. At the convent the nuns held a 9:30pm pilgrim Mass in their church which was very nice.


Tonight we´re staying in another awesome albergue (alternate route) called Jesus albergue (Jesus is everywhere...lol) and it´s donation based as well. You can write on the walls like naughty school kids...lol..The albergue has a backyard and hammock (what luxury) you should have seen our faces when we scoped out the joint, we thought we were in heaven...lol

Tomorrow we´re off to Astorga which is a 30km clicker...Wish us luck, cause we´re sooo going to need it...lol

Love, light and smiles to you all

6 comments:

No Day But Today said...

Sonia, it is you who are encouraging me, to keep the memory and joy of the Camino alive. My heart is yearning to be there, walking with you and others who are sharing the kind of journey you are having. You have truly found the spirit of the Camino!
xoxo
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Sonn I am so hangin to hear all about your adventure and shit it seems like its so much more than what you were expecting. Miss you so much cant wait to hear your voice Im craving it.

Be safe , love you

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia! Your posts of the fabulous journey you are having are enlightening! It is such a privalidge to be sharing ti woth you from afar! I have just watched journey of the peaceful warrior (thanks!) and it is so all about the journey, hey?! And what a journey to be experiencing!! Live it, love it and learn every step of the way. Learn about yourself, others and the world - and indulge in the your friendships, the 'new' and each and every meal!! take care - love and thoughts coming your way!! Jill

No Day But Today said...

How's it going? I'm trying to think where you are by now...
Hey, when you get back, will you share the name of those great albergues you loved so much? FOr my next Camino!

xoxo Keep going!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Sonn. You absolute LEGEND ! It's so cool to read where you're up to - I'm living vicariously thru you. You certainly are "Living life".

Travel safe.

All the best, HS

PS. Last official day with TW today. I'm free!

Anonymous said...

HI Sonia,
Congrats on going so well and from what i have read you are loving it, so good to see/read ican't wait to hear everything when you get back keep safe.
Simone