Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1st walk after injury

Today, I finally managed to get outdoors for a 30 minute walk after 15 days of virtually no exercise. God, it felt so good to walk again! Overall the foot held up pretty well, it did feel a little tight (sprain like kind of feeling) between my foot and ankle, but no sharp shooting pains like I experienced these past few weeks. Hopefully, I'll never experience it again! Knock on wood.

I saw my physio today he was happy with my healing progress. We decided to slowly up my training program over the next weeks. For now, one day on, one day off and increasing the time along the way.

Today I mentioned to my friend Donna (who's coming on the walk) how my last Camino kind of felt like a race. So I came up with a saying 'piano, piano, arriviamo.' Translated: slowly, slowly, we will arrive. So as I was walking today, I realised prior to my tendonitis I was rushing my training walks and not enjoying the scenery (and it's so beautiful where I live). This injury has forced me to slow right down. I also left my ipod behind (only because the battery was dead) and as I began walking, I made a conscience effort to pay attention to each step whilst scanning my body for various sensations. For such a short walk, I felt like I really benefit from this practise. What a difference when you really bring your awareness to the present moment. Apparently they call this walking mediation.

No comments: